Saturday, August 2, 2008

As Time Goes By

Well, how the heck did we get to August 2nd? Gosh, I hadn't realized how long it has been since I was last here. Sorry about that! July was busy, but I can't tell you with what...maybe work, and VBS (helping to set up for it - not working it), and school.

My class is going pretty well, and I have - for the first time ever, I think - started my project early. I am hoping to have to basically done tomorrow, be we ALL know how that goes.

And speaking of school - I have, from the beginning, had difficulty with Keller. There have been customer service issues (not all together a surprise here in the Bluff City), problems with financial aid, and we can't forget the whole "we can't find your file, you'll have to reapply" discussion. While things have been worked out most of the time, it doesn't seem to be getting any better. SO, I started looking around, and the University of Memphis has a program that is in the neighborhood of 1/3 the cost of Keller. It is much closer to home (within walking distance when it is not 99 flippin degrees at midnight!), and has a pretty good Business School / MBA program. I have decided to apply there this fall, continuing my classes with Keller in the immediate. If I am accepted, I will try to move over to UM in January. That's the thinking right now - but I have to get past the GRE first (this may be the thing that dictates exactly what I will be doing.)

We are looking forward to our trip to VA. I am actually beginning to make lists and put things aside to take. It promises to be great fun, and I can't wait to get there. Look out Fauquier - here we come! Axia and Carlos - we are looking forward to visiting with you! You too, Ann!

In the mean time, we have our annual Bishop's visit. We are looking forward to seeing Bishop Morse. This year we have 2 Baptisms and several confirmations. It is a very exciting time in the life of St. James. Last week we had the VBS presentation, as well as a vote on if we should purchase the church property we have been renting for 4 years (including the house we live in.) The result was almost unanimous to purchase it! All of that and we had 101 people in church!!

Today we went to the Gylfe's home for a cookout, and swimming (for the kids). We had a great turn out, and a good time was had by all.

I had a hole in my tire, but it was quickly repaired to the tune of $16 - much better than the cost of our tire issues from a year ago! Keith was weed-eating the church lawn a couple of weeks ago and it picked up a rock and flung it across the parking lot into his rear window, breaking it into a bazillion pieces. So now he is driving a whooptie which has plastic covering the window until we can replace it (don't ask - it has to do with the aforementioned issues with Keller.) And I won't go into the fight Keith got into with the basketball hoop pole (using my car, of course!). Really - there was not much damage - just enough for me to keep giving him a hard time!

Well, that's the long and the short of it. What's up with you?

PS. Jasmine turned one - can you believe it? I hope to get pictures up soon.

3 comments:

Molly said...

Hi Melanie-
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I feel your pain with graduate school annoyances and hope that U of M (the good one, not the other, unmentionable U of M!) works out. Glad to hear Panera is hopefully on the way. We have a Panera here in Montgomery and we also have Moe's, but no Chipotle. I'm not sure if they have the $5 Monday burrito deal we loved in Columbus - I'm guessing probably not, it didn't seem to be too much of a moneymaker. :) Try to stay cool in the crazy heat!

Joy said...

Are Carlos & Aixa in VA? We are leaving for VA on Thursday and will be there till Sept (at least the kids & I will be) so if you're near Williamsburg drop on by!

Redblur63 said...

OMG--you blogged TWICE inside of thirty days!I am so proud of you. I'm glad you've found a grad program that you like. Good luck with it. Today was wonderful...I love baptism and confirmation days! And I love how our little church is growing and flourishing.