Sunday, September 23, 2007

Updates

Tomorrow I begin a second week of work. I have enjoyed getting to know everyone, and begin to get a feel for the place. Mostly getting to go to work everyday has been good, and good for me. Getting a paycheck will not hurt anything, either. I don’t think I will want to do this for the rest of my life, but I am very happy there. I am not sure where this road will lead, but I will enjoy the view for awhile.

Interestingly enough, the company I was working for had their contract renewed by the Government; however, they had a 40% cut. Translation: they cut seven jobs, where are due to end at the end of this week. Now, I do not completely understand why I was laid off, nothing was ever explained to me - other than the customer no longer needed my services. My friends and I have several working theories and they all end with “and Geo is a jerk.” (‘nough said.) All that said, one thing I am sure of is that it would have happened soon or later. If it had to happen, I am glad I had the summer off.

The pixs below include a couple of purses I have recently made using placemats (of all things). I am thinking about working on purses and totes to sell. I have had some feedback from folks who have seen them, so I am going to do some work on them. I also have gotten some great ideas from my mom – one of the best sewers (seamstresses) I know, she amazes me. She has made just about anything you can think of – from tote bags to wedding dresses, to quilts. I haven’t always appreciated her talent (especially as a kid wearing homemade cloths), but she has a lot of talent. She actually took a boy’s size 16 cassock pattern and enlarged it for my husband, who, at 6’4”, can not be described as “small”.

I am also adding a pix of some socks that I am attempting to knit. When I purchased the yarn, I was looking for the self-stripping stuff, but was told that this was not it, and it would not stripe for me, but would be very cute. As you can see, it seems to be self-stripping. I think they will be very cute. They are for someone else.

The last pix are two sets of placemats I bought and am going to make purses / totes out of them. I just need to get material for the inside and pockets, and the handles for them.

As for our diets: Keith has lost 50 lbs, officially as of today!! I am holding at 35 lbs, but I have not gone up, and am continuing to work at it. I have lost some inches, and am down 2 dress sizes. Today I tried on the dress I wore for graduation in May 2006, and am happy to report it does not fit. Just so you understand, it did not fit last fall or this past spring, but because I was too big for it. I am very pleased to also announce that the dress I bought for the wedding in April we attended is also too big! The best part is that in 2 more dress sizes, I will be able to shop in regular stores and be able to get things at Sams (I know, I know but it’s a great place to get jeans, sweaters – you know, the basics.)

Now, before I go for the evening, I have to say “Congratulations” to Casey and Jason, who were married yesterday in Winchester, VA. Welcome to the family Jason and Kayla (Jason’s daughter). I will tell you what I told Rachel – No back-cies! You are stuck with us now. We are a little crazy, but we can cook! Seriously, we are praying for you all, and that God will bless your union.

Have a good week – I’ll be in touch.






Anyone else seeing a color trend here?

4 comments:

Redblur63 said...

If I didn't know better, I'd guess you were a sister in AKA! Love the pinks and greens though. Your crafts are really shaping up! Hang in there on the job. It's what we do for money. It does not define who we really are. At least, I hope not where I'm concerned!!!

Leanna said...

Awesome crafting! I want lessons...or to go the easier route, perhaps I'll have to become a customer!
Best wishes for the job...for but a steady paycheck/longevity and an ability to retain ones' sanity while performing mindless tasks!
~Emilie

Marcia said...

Ok, I will show my ignorance....what is the AKA????

Anonymous said...

Hey MelBoe,

http://www.etsy.com/index.php

You can probably sell your wares on this site - it caters to you crafters, etc.

Do us a favor and pick up an Elvis clock with the swinging hips if you can find one for under $20. We need one in this house. I'll pay you back when you let me know you have the goods.

adios - Sharon